Recently Goodmail launched a new feature for their email certification platform, one that would allow video in email. However if you don’t have the marketing budget for certification you can always try this…Converting video to an animated gif for email.
- Great way to incorporate your video message – if a picture says a thousand words what will your video say?
- Great attention grabber – My eyes moved right to the moving portion of the email, giving it top priority in reviewing the message (I admit I was looking for it)
- No script and the images are linked to via a simple “src img=” tag – so your not adding to the size of your email message, likely the link is track able as well looking like an image file.
- No sound – but it the draw is strong enough people will click for the full video with sound on your site/YouTube.
- Slow Internet connections might see choppy playback
- Outlook 2007 breaks animated gifs and only renders the first frame – choose it wisely
has anyone seen video in email WITH goodmail, or is that “coming soon” like most of their partners?
I sent it to myself and it looks decent, but ive seen clippermail embed video in the email with sound… better experiance personally.
One reason embedded video has not been widely adopted is that it does not play in webmail clients (Gmail, Yahoo mail ect), Outlook 2007, MAC or Lotus Notes. That might change with Goodmail, for the few who can afford it.
Compare this with a Video Gif which will play in all email clients except Outlook 2007 (displays the first frame only).
Sure sound would be good – though it adds greatly to file size – but I’d rather see the video play in my inbox…
Sorry MC, No self promotion here… shame shame