Well 2009 is officially here – Happy New Year to you all and thanks for sticking around over the break.
Just a quick post to start of the year with a few things I noticed over the holiday’s regarding email trends:
- Lots of discounted offers and free shipping this year,
- Good use of “# of days left for shipping/shopping online”,
- Some retailers really revved up their email volume the last 5 weeks before the holiday only to go back to their regular mailing practices after Boxing Day,
- and Heavy promotion of Online redeemable Gift Cards – Environmentally Friendly and great for last minute purchases – especially if you can send them direct to a friend.
But I think the best tips I received this year came after shipping deadlines were passed and Boxing Day shipping had yet to enter my mind – on December 23… Best Buy and Future Shop – they are actually the same company just different brands – sent out tips for getting the most out of your online boxing day shopping. These tips included:
- Login now to verify your shipping information is correct
- Make sure your credit card if up to date and on file for easy shopping
- Setup Verified by Visa – if your a visa member – in advance and while Visa Support is still working and not swamped
- Get setup with our rewards program (Best Buy only) so your purchase are qualified in the program.
- and lastly a reminder that Boxing Day shopping actually started on the evening of Dec 24th, two full days early but only online.
Kudos to the Best Buy/Future Shop team for another great example of relationship building vs. a pure last minute “Sell” to members.